I am grateful to the more than 820 subscribers to Integral Leadership Review. Your continuing support means that we can move closer to a way of viewing and being in the world that is integrative, generative and supportive of our evolving integrity––learning to align our theory and our action, our values and assumptions with achieving what is important to us. Also, I am grateful to the many kindnesses, suggestions and offers of support we have received.
The mission of this epublication is to be a practical guide to the application of an integral perspective to the challenges of leadership in business and life and to the effective relationship between executive/business coaches and their clients. My vision includes that this will be a place where others, as well as myself, can continue to develop and share ideas about Integral Leadership and integral coaching.
> Russ Volckmann
1 Phoenix Rising by Russ Volckmann is now available.
We have all faced failures in our lives. And sometimes our response to them is debilitating.
Here is an innovative approach to confronting and transcending failure.
A book with an integrated method for confronting issues that keep us stuck and moving toward what is truly important to us.
An effective tool for coaches and for clients whether coaching leaders in business or in life.
“I always thought of myself as a winner, not a failure…I’ve always been afraid of taking a risk…and failing! 1 Phoenix Rising gave me the opportunity to face my fears in an absolutely safe environment and to admit my fragility…To my surprise, what I found was a renewed sense of force and creative drive that is now overriding the fear!”
> Patsi Krakoff, Psy. D., Therapist Coach Institute
“The material in 1 Phoenix Rising is genuine and helpful. I’ve known Russ for sometime and not only can he help you with issues around failure, but if you work through this material, it will help you become more aware of a life worth living big!”
> Mike Jay, B\Coach Systems
Don Beck: “Spirit and Business in the Fast Lane”
(Part 1), Transformation
David Zweig, Sr. Editor of The World Business Academy’s website/ejournal, Transformation, introduces comments by Don Beck at the recent Global MindChange Forum in Santa Barbara, California, with a summary explanation of Spiral Dynamics. This is followed by the first part of Dr. Beck’s comments. The second part will be published in the next iteration.
After presenting his case for the importance of verticality and memes, the connection with Clare Graves work and the evolution of the idea of spiral dynamics, Beck talks about his involvement with the work of Ken Wilber and the integral association of his work with Spiral Dynamics. In referencing the levels of the spiral he comments,
“These become the evolutionary codes that shape how cultures emerge. These particular codes are not inborn to our chassis like a Calvinistic script or crop circles in your psyche. These are complex, adoptive, contextual, intelligences –calm cues that emerge only in response to life conditions. So I have life conditions– I have the awakened memetic codes–to deal with the life conditions, and then I have the issues that those codes have penetrated as carriers of the meme. So I have to look at all three of those.”
He neatly disposes of the “Green” resistance to hierarchies and adds,
“You cannot be an evolutionist or a student of human emotions without recognizing that which is true in all human forms, true in bacteria, viruses, genes, and memes: that our nature is an adaptive nature, not a predetermined nature. Spiral Dynamics represents the very first psychological theories based on how systems emerge in people. What we’re looking at here are worldview, mindsets and memetic codes in us. we’re not at a level, but the spiral exists in our heart and soul or in the Ark of a Covenant in the private closet in executive suites, or at the decision-making centers of entire cultures.”
The remainder of this portion of the presentation accounts for the growth of terrorism in Spiral terms. He points out that Western civilization has been dominated by the Orange meme; this brings it directly into conflict with Red meme dominated cultures.
“So we have had 300 years of the emerging dominance of this Orange memetic. Well, don’t make the mistake of thinking that the rest of the world is at that stage because it’s not. And that’s why so many attempts at global capitalism have done great damage, because they are imposing a memetic code that’s not indigenous. It’s exotic to the memetic vocabulary and experience and capability of people living in those zones.
Quoations Source: Copyright 2004 World Bus4iness Academy, 428 Bryant Circle, Suite 109, Ojai, CA 93023, Phone 805 640-3713 Fax 805 640-9914
- A Request
- If you are finding the Integral Leadership Review to be bringing useful, fresh perspectives to the subject of leadership, please think of the leaders in business and life that might be able to benefit from subscribing to this epublication. Please send them a copy or a link to the web site, www.integralleadershipreview.com so that they may explore it. In this time of intense internet communication, we all need to manage our time and read those things which are most relevant for our work, our thinking and our values. It is my hope that many people will find the evolvingIntegral Leadership Review does just that. Your help is deeply appreciated.
- Dedicated to Chris Newham with deep appreciation.
- Got any? E-mail Russ Volckmann email@example.com.
- Thanks for taking the time to consider this e-publication in a world of data overload. For leaders, collaborators, consultants, academics and coaches alike; I welcome you to some ideas and a dialogue that may benefit us all. I hope you will contact me soon with your idea, reference or article. Suggestions on improvement are welcome.
- Russ Volckmann, PhD, Coaching Leaders in Business and Life
Tel: 831.333-9200, FAX: 831.656-0110
- This material is intended for informational and educational purposes only. Financial, Legal and Professional information is not Financial, Legal and Professional advice. You should see a Financial, Legal or Professional in the area in which you live if you need advice.
- You are welcome to share the contents of this e-publication. Please provide source information, includingwww.integralleadershipreview.com.
- Thank you.