David V. Day
Dr. Day is the Woodside Professor of Leadership and Management at the University of Western Australia Business School. Current and previous appointments include Professor of Organisational Behaviour (Singapore Management University), Professor of Psychology (Penn State University), Adjunct Research Scientist (Center for Creative Leadership), and Senior Research Fellow (U.S. Army Research Institute Consortium of Research Fellows).
A Fellow of the American Psychological Association and the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology (SIOP), member of the Academy of Management, Asia Academy of Management, Australia-New Zealand Academy of Management, Society of Organizational Behavior, Southern Management Association, and International Association of Applied Psychology, Dr. Day has published more than 50 journal articles and book chapters, many pertaining to the core topics of leadership and leadership development. His research has been published in the Journal of Applied Psychology, Personnel Psychology, Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Management, Leadership Quarterly, among other journals. Dr. Day serves on the editorial boards of Human Performance, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processess, and Journal of Management, and also serves as an Associate Editor of the Journal of Applied Psychology, Leadership Quarterly and Human Resource Management Review.
Dr. Day is the lead editor of the book, Leader Development for Transforming Organizations: Growing Leaders for Tomorrow (Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2004) and lead author of An Integrative Approach to Leader Development: Connecting Adult Development, Identity and Expertise (Psychology Press, 2008). He served as a civilian member of the U.S. Army Training and Leader Development Panels recommending future directions for officer, non-commissioned officer, and Army civilian training and development. Dr. Day received his Ph.D. in industrial and organizational psychology from the University of Akron in 1989.
- Day, D. V. (2000). Leadership development: A review in context. Leadership Quarterly, 11, 581-613.
- Day, D. V. (2007). Developing leadership talent: A guide to succession planning and leadership development. Alexandria, V A: Society for Human Resource Management Foundation.
- Day, D. V., Gronn, P., & Salas, E. (2004). Leadership capacity in teams. Leadership Quarterly, 15, 857-880.
- Day, D. V., & Harrison, M. M. (2007). A multilevel, identity-based approach to leadership development. Human Resource Management Review, 17, 360-373.
- Day, D. V., Harrison, M. M., & Halpin, S. M. (2008). An integrative approach to leader development: Connecting adult development, identity, and expertise. New York: Taylor & Francis / Psychology Press.
- Day, D. V., Sin, H.-P., & Chen, T. T. (2004). Assessing the burdens of leadership: Effects of formal leadership roles on individual performance over time. Personnel Psychology, 57, 573-605.