- When coaching an individual leader in a business, explore her/his assumptions about the individual and collective aspects of leadership in their experience. Ask them to tell stories about each and identify what important learning there was.
- Some sample questions might be:
- What were your intentions?
- What did you do?
- What was the result?
- What does this say about your leadership?
- Then ask them to look at a leadership opportunity that they are facing. Ask a similar series of questions. Then explore the collective dimension.
- Who else needs to exercise leadership?
- How are they aligned with your intentions?
- What actions do they need to take?
- What conversations need to happen to support that?
- We would value any stories and comments you can share with us about your experiences with this Leadership Coaching Tip.
> Russ Volckmann